Sunday, May 21, 2006

Fishing Success

As I have said before that I went on a fishing trip with my cousin Dan, to the Olympic Peninsula. Over in the town of Forks. It is about a 9 to 10 hour drive depending on how long you have to wait to get on the Ferry and how terrible traffic is in Seattle. But we got over there and the next morning we got up at 4 am to get on a boat and go 21 miles out to sea and try and catch some halibut. The Ocean that morning was very choppy and not a very pleasant boat ride. We got to the fishing grounds and (I have never been deep sea fishing before and didn't know what to expect.) we dropped a huge jig 500 feet down and started jigging. Before you could start to jig you would have a fish on. We caught a few halibut but were mostly catching Lingcod. ( I took this picture myself, right before I hooked it. j/k) I ended up catching a 35 lbs Lingcod, it was about 4 and a half feet long. I caught more than that but that was the only thing worth sharing.

(Lingcod, they have some nasty teeth. Like Sharp.....Not due to lack of brushing.....I know what you were thinking.)

After about of 45 minutes we had our limit on both Halibut and Lings and then it was time to head back in. The ride in, is always smoother and faster. Out of 6 guys on the boat only one of them got sick. I watched him puke a whole bunch while I was reeling in a fish. It was so funny. I was worried that I was going to get sick, but nothing, not even queasy. At the end, Dan and I ended up with about 45 to 50 lbs of fish to take home. I just wish that Bethany like fish a little more. Sorry that I didn't take any pictures. It is hard to do when everything is so fast paced and the ocean was choppy.

Halibut, The average size that we were catching was about 30 lbs. Boy are they good eats.

We also went fishing for Salmon (springers) and Dan caught 2 nice ones and I gave him moral support. So I guess I was more like a fishing cheerleader. No pom-poms though. Thank goodness!!

3 Comments:

At 6:39 AM , Blogger Heidi said...

WOW! Great job in the fishing! I hear deep sea fishing is a lot of fun. Thanks for updating your blog.

 
At 9:56 PM , Blogger Uberly Ewe said...

Fishing! I am sorry but I never saw the excitement in fishing. I find it rather relaxing though. I would fall asleep when my Step dad would take me out fishing. LOL!

Great Pictures of the fish!

 
At 6:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

45 minutes and you filled your limit? That's amazing! Great Job!! I went deep sea fishing with my dad when i was about 12 and i was the kid losing my lunch, breakfast, dinner then night before and probably meals for the previous couple of days. I didn't think one person could throw up that much during in just a few short hours. The rocking of the boat killed me and wouldn't you know, i joined the Navy years later! Sorry this comment is so late but i was just checking out your previous posts. luv ya'll, ross

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home